Planet E.R.F.

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VOTING FOR PRESIDENT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet E.R.F. Forum Index -> Main Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
OleSoul



Joined: 19 Mar 2007
Posts: 3218
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KeyLimePi wrote:
The kids are awesome!!!!!! Very Happy

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/29/vote-however-you-like-vid_n_139101.html



NICE..... LOL Cool
_________________
"In times of change, learners inherit the earth while the well learnt find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exist...."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
OleSoul



Joined: 19 Mar 2007
Posts: 3218
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crispus Attucks fell so that Rosa Parks could sit, Rosa Parks sat so that Dr. Martin Luther King could march, Dr. Martin Luther King marched so that Barack Obama could run, and Barack Obama is running so that our children and grandchildren can fly."




_________________
"In times of change, learners inherit the earth while the well learnt find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exist...."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Nichnly



Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Posts: 7330
Location: New Orleans, LA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^I LIKE THAT!!! Very Happy
_________________
Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live! ~Bob Marley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
coolfonz



Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 624

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Crispus Attucks fell so that Rosa Parks could sit, Rosa Parks sat so that Dr. Martin Luther King could march, Dr. Martin Luther King marched so that Barack Obama could run, and Barack Obama is running so that our children and grandchildren can fly."

That's very nice. Fred Hampton, Huey Newton, Malcolm X, Bobby Searle, Kenny Whitmore, Lorenzo Ervin....they helped too.

I'm away at a wedding in Spain til just before the election. I tell you right now - from Fonzie - Obama is going to win, the Republicans don't even seem remotely keen at getting elected. It's done. Has been for ages. McCain is a half-wit. Makes Bush look like Aristotle. Obama is a symptom, a symptom of a slowly changing America.

And Obama will be good, or at least better, for the American poor. But I fear he won't do much to stop America's outrageous foreign policy in the last eight years. There is Iraq, but also overthrowing the first elected leader of Haiti and replacing him with a gang of drug dealers, attacking Syria and killing four children, attacking Pakistan repeatedly after it threw out the military dictator Musharaff, overthrowing the most peaceful Somalian state for 30 years prompting Ethiopia to invade and turning the country into a graveyeard...and over half a million dead Iraqis.

This is what pisses people off about the US. Not the Simpsons, or Hollywood or Ben & Jerry's, we love that shit. And Eric too.

But get your troops home Obama. Get them home and keep them there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OleSoul



Joined: 19 Mar 2007
Posts: 3218
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolfonz wrote:
"Crispus Attucks fell so that Rosa Parks could sit, Rosa Parks sat so that Dr. Martin Luther King could march, Dr. Martin Luther King marched so that Barack Obama could run, and Barack Obama is running so that our children and grandchildren can fly."

That's very nice. Fred Hampton, Huey Newton, Malcolm X, Bobby Searle, Kenny Whitmore, Lorenzo Ervin....they helped too.

I'm away at a wedding in Spain til just before the election. I tell you right now - from Fonzie - Obama is going to win, the Republicans don't even seem remotely keen at getting elected. It's done. Has been for ages. McCain is a half-wit. Makes Bush look like Aristotle. Obama is a symptom, a symptom of a slowly changing America.

And Obama will be good, or at least better, for the American poor. But I fear he won't do much to stop America's outrageous foreign policy in the last eight years. There is Iraq, but also overthrowing the first elected leader of Haiti and replacing him with a gang of drug dealers, attacking Syria and killing four children, attacking Pakistan repeatedly after it threw out the military dictator Musharaff, overthrowing the most peaceful Somalian state for 30 years prompting Ethiopia to invade and turning the country into a graveyeard...and over half a million dead Iraqis.

This is what pisses people off about the US. Not the Simpsons, or Hollywood or Ben & Jerry's, we love that shit. And Eric too.
But get your troops home Obama. Get them home and keep them there.




And that's the truth..... seriously
_________________
"In times of change, learners inherit the earth while the well learnt find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exist...."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
geoffb



Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 274
Location: Manchester UK

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just passing through to wish all the Obama supporters / voters the best of luck.

Most of the planet is counting on you, I really can't contemplate how the world will be after another 4-5 years of a Republican government

Fingers crossed for you
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OleSoul



Joined: 19 Mar 2007
Posts: 3218
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geoffb wrote:
Just passing through to wish all the Obama supporters / voters the best of luck.

Most of the planet is counting on you, I really can't contemplate how the world will be after another 4-5 years of a Republican government

Fingers crossed for you


Thanks, we are going to need it. It's amazing how what happens here affects the whole world and no one stops to ever consider that. It's always God Bless America and no place else lol Time for change.
_________________
"In times of change, learners inherit the earth while the well learnt find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exist...."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Nichnly



Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Posts: 7330
Location: New Orleans, LA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dres Revisits 'The Choice is Yours' For Obama
File this one under the "But Of Course Files": Dres of underrated Native Tongues duo Black Sheep has reworked the lyrics of their infamous "The Choice Is Yours" track to show his support for Barack Obama. Remember back when the original dropped, George Bush was in office, we were at war with Iraq and everyone kept using the mantra "Peace In The Middle East" whenever they won an award at an award show? Funny how not much has changed since 1992, huh? In any case, this time, instead of an image of Bush Sr. being ripped down as something we cannot get with, we have images of Obama's adversaries along with a rousing message in support of some much needed change.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbJsMPA0XvA
_________________
Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live! ~Bob Marley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Imyjam



Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Posts: 7886
Location: The Dutchland, Bruekelin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump...... Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Nichnly



Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Posts: 7330
Location: New Orleans, LA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Common Has No Faith in the Political System, Still Supports Obama
In an interview with OkayplayerTV, Common Hussein Sense lays out the grounded, logical reasons why he is voting for Barack Obama for President. His straightforwardness about his distrust in the political system and his assessment that Obama is the candidate that he sees really trying to do good for people is spot on. He keeps it real, emphasizing that the only way to affect what's going on politically is to do your part by voting.

"We can't wait on the political system but [we] can influence the political system..."

It's been a long haul and we're all experiencing election fatigue. All that's left for us to do now is vote. That's all. Change is coming. Get on board with Common, and with those of us who've already cast our ballots so that come Wednesday there at least a little bit of our faith in the political system can be restored. [OKP] <--CLICK HERE TO SEE VIDEO...
_________________
Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live! ~Bob Marley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
OleSoul



Joined: 19 Mar 2007
Posts: 3218
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nichnly wrote:
Common Has No Faith in the Political System, Still Supports Obama
In an interview with OkayplayerTV, Common Hussein Sense lays out the grounded, logical reasons why he is voting for Barack Obama for President. His straightforwardness about his distrust in the political system and his assessment that Obama is the candidate that he sees really trying to do good for people is spot on. He keeps it real, emphasizing that the only way to affect what's going on politically is to do your part by voting.

"We can't wait on the political system but [we] can influence the political system..."
It's been a long haul and we're all experiencing election fatigue. All that's left for us to do now is vote. That's all. Change is coming. Get on board with Common, and with those of us who've already cast our ballots so that come Wednesday there at least a little bit of our faith in the political
system can be restored. [OKP] <--CLICK HERE TO SEE VIDEO...



WORD....
_________________
"In times of change, learners inherit the earth while the well learnt find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exist...."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Nichnly



Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Posts: 7330
Location: New Orleans, LA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THAT'S WHY WE GOTTA ROCK THE VOTE TOMORROW!!!
_________________
Life is one big road with lots of signs. So when you riding through the ruts, don't complicate your mind. Flee from hate, mischief and jealousy. Don't bury your thoughts, put your vision to reality. Wake Up and Live! ~Bob Marley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
oprf1993



Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Posts: 1917

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maya Angelou's thoughts on the election...

CNN: What does it say about the country that Barack Obama is a candidate to be president?

Angelou: The country is growing up and confessing to something we've know all along. What prevented us from admitting that we knew that? And I was taken back to slavery.

If you will have a person enslaved, the first thing you must do is convince yourself that the person is subhuman. The second thing you have to do is convince your allies so you'll have some help, and the third and probably unkindest cut of all is to convince that person that he or she is subhuman and deserves it.

Well, such a job has been done on all of us that people found it very difficult to admit that human beings are more alike than we are unalike. We've known it. But to admit it, you have to stop saying because this guy speaks another language, because their eyes are shaped differently from mine, because they're first-generation Americans from Eastern Europe, then they don't count, I don't have to consider them. With this, the country is finally able to see through complexion and see community.

CNN: You've known and worked with people like Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr. Could you imagine what their reaction would be to this?

Angelou: I think everybody would be weeping tears of joy really.

I think of my grandmother who raised me. She was a daughter of a former slave. She knew this was going to happen. You know that when I was young, I was physically abused and so I stopped talking. I thought that my voice had killed the criminal. ... The man had been found dead. Police said he had been beaten to death. So I knew, because I told [people] that he did it, that my voice could just go out and kill people.

So after a few months, my mother's people sent me and my brother back to this little village in Arkansas to my grandmother, my father's mother who was raising me, and she used to braid my hair.

My hair was huge and very curly, black. And my grandmother put her hand behind my neck and held it so she wouldn't break my neck by accident. And she would start to brush my hair and she would say, "Sister, Mama don't care what these people say about you, that you must be an idiot, you must be a moron because you can't talk. Mama know when you and the good Lord get ready, you're going to teach all over this world. You're going to be a mighty teacher."

I didn't speak for six years. She said that to me all the time, in this little village in Arkansas. [Now] I teach all over the world, I teach in French and Spanish, so when I stand up on a stage or see a book of mine gets accolades or a piece of music I've written, I think about my Mama, and she died before I really came of age, and I just think she knew it.

CNN: She was prophetic about you, but beyond that?

Angelou: Yes, [she believed] it will get better. And you have to continue to prepare yourself, continue to build yourself, continue to elevate yourself and be a benefit, be a blessing rather than a curse, and things will get better. And they have, so when I think of Dr. King and Malcolm, Fannie Lou Hamer, Medgar Evers, I also think of Chief Albert Luthuli, one of the first Africans to earn the Nobel Prize.

I mean that after Chief Luthuli, apartheid was so rigid, unbreakable that men had to carry their IDs on plastic cards that were too large for any suit, so they flapped, reminding them constantly who they were. It was my blessing to meet Nelson Mandela before he went into prison and I've seen him many times since. He knew this day would come, and to be able to stay in prison for 27 years, knowing that the day would come.
_________________
"For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another."
1 John 3:11
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KeyLimePi



Joined: 19 Jun 2008
Posts: 1907
Location: Philly/NYC/ATL/DC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oprf1993 wrote:
Maya Angelou's thoughts on the election...

CNN: What does it say about the country that Barack Obama is a candidate to be president?

Angelou: The country is growing up and confessing to something we've know all along. What prevented us from admitting that we knew that? And I was taken back to slavery.

If you will have a person enslaved, the first thing you must do is convince yourself that the person is subhuman. The second thing you have to do is convince your allies so you'll have some help, and the third and probably unkindest cut of all is to convince that person that he or she is subhuman and deserves it.

Well, such a job has been done on all of us that people found it very difficult to admit that human beings are more alike than we are unalike. We've known it. But to admit it, you have to stop saying because this guy speaks another language, because their eyes are shaped differently from mine, because they're first-generation Americans from Eastern Europe, then they don't count, I don't have to consider them. With this, the country is finally able to see through complexion and see community.

CNN: You've known and worked with people like Malcolm X and Martin Luther King Jr. Could you imagine what their reaction would be to this?

Angelou: I think everybody would be weeping tears of joy really.

I think of my grandmother who raised me. She was a daughter of a former slave. She knew this was going to happen. You know that when I was young, I was physically abused and so I stopped talking. I thought that my voice had killed the criminal. ... The man had been found dead. Police said he had been beaten to death. So I knew, because I told [people] that he did it, that my voice could just go out and kill people.

So after a few months, my mother's people sent me and my brother back to this little village in Arkansas to my grandmother, my father's mother who was raising me, and she used to braid my hair.

My hair was huge and very curly, black. And my grandmother put her hand behind my neck and held it so she wouldn't break my neck by accident. And she would start to brush my hair and she would say, "Sister, Mama don't care what these people say about you, that you must be an idiot, you must be a moron because you can't talk. Mama know when you and the good Lord get ready, you're going to teach all over this world. You're going to be a mighty teacher."

I didn't speak for six years. She said that to me all the time, in this little village in Arkansas. [Now] I teach all over the world, I teach in French and Spanish, so when I stand up on a stage or see a book of mine gets accolades or a piece of music I've written, I think about my Mama, and she died before I really came of age, and I just think she knew it.

CNN: She was prophetic about you, but beyond that?

Angelou: Yes, [she believed] it will get better. And you have to continue to prepare yourself, continue to build yourself, continue to elevate yourself and be a benefit, be a blessing rather than a curse, and things will get better. And they have, so when I think of Dr. King and Malcolm, Fannie Lou Hamer, Medgar Evers, I also think of Chief Albert Luthuli, one of the first Africans to earn the Nobel Prize.

I mean that after Chief Luthuli, apartheid was so rigid, unbreakable that men had to carry their IDs on plastic cards that were too large for any suit, so they flapped, reminding them constantly who they were. It was my blessing to meet Nelson Mandela before he went into prison and I've seen him many times since. He knew this day would come, and to be able to stay in prison for 27 years, knowing that the day would come.


Amen. Thanks for posting
_________________
"Baby I've got go. Baby I've got to know. Baby I've got to prove it". -Cee-Lo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KeyLimePi



Joined: 19 Jun 2008
Posts: 1907
Location: Philly/NYC/ATL/DC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Africans gear up to celebrate an Obama victory




By TOM MALITI – 1 hour ago

KISUMU, Kenya (AP) — Africans organized all-night parties to watch the U.S. election results roll in, determined to celebrate a moment in history as Barack Obama tries to become the first black American president.

"Tonight we are not going to sleep," said Valentine Wambi, 23, a student at the University of Nairobi. "It will be celebrations throughout."

She planned to join hundreds of other students in the Kenyan capital for an election party late Tuesday.

In the western Kenya village of Kogelo, where the Democratic candidate's late father was born, police tightened security Tuesday to prevent hordes of media and others from entering the rural homestead of Obama's step-grandmother.

Obama is wildly popular across Africa, and many hope an Obama presidency will help this vast continent, the poorest in the world. Some are hoping for more U.S. aid to Africa, while others simply bask in the glory of a successful black politician with African roots.

"Obama, being partly African, has the moral obligation to intervene in Africa," said Samuel Conteh, Managing Editor of The New Citizen, an independent local newspaper in Freetown, Sierra Leone. "The aspirations of Africans are very high, believing that he will change the social and economic situations of Africans."

Obama was born in Hawaii, where he spent most of his childhood reared by his mother, a white American from Kansas. He barely knew his late father, an economist from Kogelo. But that has not stopped "Obamamania" from sweeping the continent, and particularly Kenya, where his picture adorns billboards and minibuses.

In Nairobi's Kibera shantytown, one of the largest slums in Africa, residents were hoisting cups of "Senator" beer in his honor. A huge conference center in the capital was to broadcast the results live for members of the public.

In Uganda, hundreds of university students booked a hall on campus in the capital, Kampala, to watch the results.

"We will feast if Obama wins," said Makerere University student Robert Rutaro. "We will celebrate by marching on the streets of Kampala and hold a big party later on."

Kenya's two main newspapers ran Obama stories on the front page. The Standard newspaper also offered a 16-page "Obama Magic Souvenir Pullout," with photos of the candidate as a child and during his campaign.

The mass daily newspapers in Nigeria, Africa's most-populous nation, were running rare multipage inserts with U.S. electoral coverage. Headlines in The Sun called Obama a "Black Phoenix" and declared in advance of an expected Obama victory: "One Giant Leap for Mankind."

AP Writers Elizabeth A. Kennedy and Tom Odula contributed to this report from Nairobi, Kenya.
_________________
"Baby I've got go. Baby I've got to know. Baby I've got to prove it". -Cee-Lo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Planet E.R.F. Forum Index -> Main Discussion All times are GMT - 1 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 25 of 27

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


© 2007-2008 Informe.com. Get Free Forum Hosting
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group